Thursday, April 28, 2016

Week Fourteen Storytelling: The Letter of the Golden Goose



Dear Ananda,

                I could not be blessed more than what I have been.  Over the past twenty-three years you have given me two amazing daughters and a warm home filled with laughter and love.  You may not understand why I have chosen to leave you, but I feel that I must serve a greater purpose.  I could not bear hearing neither you nor our daughters crying during the night because there was no food in our cupboards; and I hated the sight of looking at you knowing that all hope was lost in your eyes.  I hate that the king had dismissed me of my job duties.  I was his most faithful worker. I must tell you that I was given a grand opportunity from a lady who I came across in the woods on my way home.  She is an elderly woman and she hurt herself while she in search of her runaway mule.  There, near the tree where we crave our initials she lay crying out for help.  I rushed to her aiding her to stand tall.  She told me she had watched the sunrise a total of three times, and two men passed her not wanting to help.  They took her staff and bag of fruit, and told her that she would not live long. When she saw me, I gave her hope.  I walked her three miles away from our home and sat with her as she instructed me to bundle some herbs for her.  She placed those herbs around her ankle and immediately I saw her ankle become normal.  She walked to her kitchen window and saw her mule and began to curse.  I never heard such words come from an old woman’s mouth! She wandered around and started to look at me aimlessly.  As I started for the door, she told me that she knew I was in trouble.

“What do you mean?” I asked. 

“You’ve lost your job and you’ve been shoveling pastures near the king’s land, correct?”


She handed me a vial of liquid and told me that it would be of help to us. 

She said “Those who are work hard and help others should be blessed, and this was a blessing in disguise.”

She dismissed me from her home and never gave me her name. I was given clear instructions to take the liquid by nightfall away from our home, and I would find my way back home.  I hope I find myself back into your arms Ananda. 
 
Sincerely,

Madesh




Author’s Note:  This story is based off of the Jataka tale “Golden Goose”.  The story is about a family whose luck begins to change.  One day the father leaves home and turns into a golden goose to help change his family's wealth. When he finds his way back home, and his wife becomes excited when she finds out the gooses feathers are made of gold.  She plucks the feathers frugally until she becomes greedy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment