Sunday, January 31, 2016

Topics: Week Two

For the project, I decided that I want to do a storybook.  I enjoy our storytelling assignments, and this project will let me be creative in choosing how I want the characters to be, and what kind of lives they should live.  The four topics I am most interested in is


Karma

Karma has always been an interesting topic to me, and I do believe what one does in order to get over, comes back ten-fold. A person's karma can always change, it depends on the choices that they make within their everyday life. I believe that the good one does, out weighs the bad and it shows in the end.  However, when considering Hinduism and reincarnation, I think life choices are made carefully when considering  being inflicted by pain in the next next life if one continuously inflicts pain on others. In addition to the thoughts of being reincarnated into an insect after killing an insect in ones previous life. 

Research so far: I looked at some storybooks that were previously done and they were great, but I was looking for something grim. However I found a website, Heart of Hinduism: The Law of Karma that explains the Law of Karma, and how to avoid bad Karma especially with the beliefs of reincarnation.



Love Stories

Love stories will always be told, and I recently did my storytelling assignment over Sita and Rama, which turned out to be more of a relationship full of secrets.  I might expand more on the assignment, or give them a fresh beginning and ending with more twists and turns.  Rama and Sita are the ideal couple in Hindi epic tales, and I would probably still give them the great reputation they have, but show behind doors that their life is not what it seems.

Research so far: Aside from Ramayana, I looked at different versions of the story on the internet, mainly written by people from India, or lived in India. 


Geography Stories: Traveling India

I think this topic is one that I am geared towards the most.  India is a beautiful place from the pictures I have seen, and I will be able to imagine the sites through the characters eyes, giving them the traveling experience that I want. I also find the culture and traditional garments to be beautiful, so with the pictures I find, I would be able to express the story in the light I want it to be seen in.

Research so far: I have looked up maps of India and Ancient India.  I also looked up information about the country’s history, and government.  


Death Stories

This topic would allow me to be grim and use the tales of demons and goddesses and pit them against each other more so by making up a past history that involves both sides. When skimming through some of the stories of the demons, I noticed all the stories I looked at, the demons were all killed by goddesses, which was something that peaked my interest.


Research done so far: I looked up how many Hindu demons, there are twenty-two, and I read some of their stories.  By far I’m most intrigued by Arunasura and Durgamasur

1 comment:

  1. Hi again. You wrote about being interesting in Karma for your upcoming readings. I think that is a good idea and I might follow your lead. Karma has not been a major character in the epics but I feel like most of the stories revolve around Karma. I am curious to see what you find in different epics. Thanks for posting.

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete