Friday, January 22, 2016

Growth Mindset

I am glad that I was able to encounter the Growth Mindset research by Carol Dewck.  Although I have never heard of her, I find the “not yet” approach something that should be used not only with children in elementary and junior high, but also with young adults in high school.  After watching the videos, I started questioning myself as a whole, and how I act towards things that are not necessarily comfortable to me academically. I used to be that student who had to have A’s, and it was not until recently before I changed my major from engineering that I understood that it was okay to receive grades lower than an A. Receiving a B/C grade when you put in hard work, time, and effort gives you the motivation to try harder in comparison to receiving an easy A in my opinion.

 I went to multiple schools throughout my life, and I felt challenged as to why I was not learning the given information like some of the students.  I believed the main reason why some subjects were harder than others was because of the different teaching styles that were being used.  In comparison to the schools I attended in Texas and Oklahoma, the schools on the east coast particularly in the DMV (Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia) area, teachers were more attentive to their students and their learning capabilities, but their approach was different.  Students were split into different categories or levels of learning.  There were three different math, science, and English classes, and the teachers gave students work that was only beneficial for their learning level unless they were in the advance classes. As a kid, you think “okay, this is cool”, but now after watching the videos I wonder if it has hinder those who were not in the advance courses.


The videos over Growth Mindset has me thinking what can I do to change about my behavior both academically and personally, and how can I become more open and comfortable when I encounter something challenging.  I think this would be useful especially with my Hebrew courses.  This semester I am taking nine hours of the language, and I feel like I can make progress with the Growth Mindset approach.  
"Success is not easy and is certainly not for the lazy." - Samantha Saifer-Berngard

No comments:

Post a Comment