Friday, February 12, 2016

Week Four Storytelling: Lakshmana

He often sat alone crying in silence in the back room.  There were lit candles placed everywhere and the fragrance of myrrh filled the room.  The drapes were always shut, and the fireplace was lit. It was there in the corner of the room where you would find him. Sitting on the floor behind the chair and leaning against the wall.  In this place he was able to escape from his mother and brothers, and think about the love that he wished was his.  His mother would tell him,

“Be careful not to shame our family, and admire the things that Rama does. He is after all, the wisest and most responsible out of you and your brothers.” 

Rama was the eldest and deemed wise beyond his years. However, to Lakshmana there was nothing special about Rama.

It was not long ago when my brother Rama married a beautiful woman from a city nearby.  I often wondered what she saw in him that made him pleasing to her eyes.  Many days we would go into the garden behind our parents’ palace, and we would sing and dance around the well and play in the fields of flowers.  I would watch her hair as she would spin around, and listen to her bangles clank as her laughter filled the air.  She was free.  She would run to the stone bench where I sat, wanting me to hold her hands and swing her around in circles.  My brother would sit with his back against the rocks sharpening his arrows, telling me to entertain her. 

“Dance,” Rama would say, “Twirl her around like the angel she is.”

I would peek at her face while she squinted her eyes when we twirled around.  I would admire her beauty.  Beautiful she was indeed.  Her skin was kissed by the rays of the sun and her eyes reminded me of the honey that we would take from bees. She would laugh until she couldn’t laugh anymore, and we would always fall into the grass and gaze at the sky. She would hold my hand and ask me if I ever dreamed of dreams, and if I would ever find a love like the one she shared with Rama.



“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Sumitra yelled.

“Nothing,” Lakshmana said while wiping his eyes,

“Your wife Urmila is looking for you, and your brother is back from his journey.”



I didn’t want to go see Rama.  I had not forgiven him for what he made me do to Sita.  Many nights I would sneak away to go see Sita after Rama banished her from Ayodhya. It was she who kept us together when Rama was sentenced to exile twenty-six years ago, and inspired us to push ourselves to defeat Ravana when we were in battle.  Sita worshiped the very ground that Rama walked on, and now when he hears her name, he pretends to hear nothing at all.  I replay that day every day in my mind.  Seeing her screaming and crying while Rama dragged her out of the palace doors telling her to leave because he felt betrayed. He told me take her across the Ghaghara River where he knew she would be isolated from the world. He punished her for something she did not do.  Rama wanted her to die, and he sentenced me to take her to her death. In a field of marigolds she lay when I saw her last.  She gazed upon the stars asking the gods to bless Rama with good health and energy. Her belly was filled with children and she was too weak to move.  I fed her and then carried her inside the home that I built for her.  I wanted her to idolize me the way she did Rama, but I know she believes that her and my brother’s souls are connected.  



Author's Note: In The Ramayana written by R.K. Narayan, the character Lakshmana is portrayed as a faithful brother who possesses close ties with his eldest brother Rama.  Rama and Lakshmana’s relationship is different in comparison to their relationship with their other brothers.

Before Rama and Sita married, sage Vishwamitra asked for Rama to journey with him to kill the Rakahasas who were disturbing his fire sacrifice. When sage Vishwamitra received the approval of King Dasharatha, Rama left with sage Vishwamitra and was joined by his younger brother Lakshmana.  When the three traveled to Mithila, it was there where Rama and Sita first connected eyes.  When the two wedded, the men and Sita traveled back to Ayodhya where Rama and Lakshmana’s father ruled.  Rama and Sita’s marriage was filled with happiness and love.

In later years, King Dasharatha believed that his eldest son Rama should rule the kingdom.  When Rama’s stepmother Kaikeyi found out, she reminded King Dasharatha of the promise he made to her.  He promised Kaikeyi that he would crown their son Bharata the king of Ayodha.  She also had Rama sentenced to exile in the forest for a period of fourteen years.  Lakshmana joined his brother Rama and wife his exile.

Unlike the traditional version of the epic, in Sita Sings the Blues, Lakshmana plays a small part but the audience is able to visually see his emotions being expressed.  When Sita is abducted by Ravana, Rama and Lakshmana go to war and defeat the demon king Ravana.  When they return back to Ayodhya, the townsmen begin to question the fidelity of Sita during the time of her captivity.  Rama believes that in order for his people to take him seriously, he must send Sita to exile.  Lakshmana takes Sita away from Ayodhya.  The two travel by boat and Lakshmana drops Sita off in the middle of nowhere.  It is in this scene where the audience sees Lakshmana affected emotionally by Sita's banishment more so than Rama, who only wants to test Sita's fidelity no matter the cost. 



Bibliography: "Sita Sings the Blues" Nina Paley (2008)
                         "The Ramayana" written by R.K. Narayan (1977)

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved your story! I loved how you set it up like he was talking to me! I am going to have to steal that idea. You are such a wonderful writer. I am seriously blown away! You have given me a lot of ideas for my writing, so I thank you for that! I honestly did not even think that Lakshmana could have been in love with Sita but now it really makes sense to me! What a great story! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jordan! I was hoping that the love Lakshama felt for Sita was conveyed in the story. You reassured me that I succeeded in my mission. =)

      Delete
  2. Dijoun,

    First of all, your details were amazing as it illustrated the story perfectly in my mind. It is interesting to focus more on Lakshmana since he is very glossed over in the readings. I think it is a great twist to the family dynamics and to add the jealousy factor. I really got a sense of the disliking and disrespect Lakshmana had for Rama and the love he felt for Sita. You are a great writer and this was a great story to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jared. I really wanted Lakshmana to stand out. As you mentioned, he was overlooked throughout The Ramayana. I really wanted to learn more about his character.

      Delete
  3. I love the way this is constructed. Seeing the events from his brothers view was pretty awesome. I was curious why you put quotation marks making everything dialog though, it seemed to be more narrative versus him talking with other people. I really liked how you used a final revelation to take the end of the story and have Rama’s brother upset about the banishment. Thus we are sitting in the room contemplating all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean! I removed the quotations. I can see how that was confusing. I wanted "Lakshmana to speak to the readers", but I see that the narration was possible without the quotation marks. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I chose your story as a free choice for this week. I have stayed consistent and picked portfolio readings about Lakshmana. I liked how the setting of the story started out kind of mysterious. I think in the beginning of the Ramayana readings Rama was the most respected brother. Towards the end he lost a lot respect especially when he left Sita to fend for herself out in the forest. This is a different spin. Lakshmana has always been perceived as the loyal brother. It was good to see him in another light. He was jealous of Rama but not enough to destroy the balance between the family members.

    The background of your blog really adds a lot. The colors you chose are a good combination. The columns and temples give it a ancient old world look. The author's note was descriptive and very detailed. Good job and have a great rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this story!! As soon as I read your title and that you were going to write about the sometimes forgotten brother, I knew I had to read it. It was a new take on a character we love and know well from the epic. I agree that Lakshmana seemed to take a back seat in the Ramayana so I'm soooo glad you decided to write this story on him. Plot twist!! As I was reading through your story, I had no idea that Lakshmana would be jealous of Rama over Sita! That was an excellent turn of events! You really captured his character well. You took a character that did not cause trouble in the original epic and gave him a little jealousy/grudge in this story! I really enjoyed all the details you included throughout the story. It definitely helped paint a picture of the scene, like when Sita and Lakshmana are singing and dancing in the fields! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dijoun,

    Thank you for a wonderful story that highlighted the mostly overlooked Lakshmana. I am a big fan of taking small sections of the Ramayana and Mahabharata that I feel are poorly described and expanding them and that is exactly what you have done here. I was very impressed with how well you transitioned from a third person narration style to a first person style with Lakshmana’s inner thoughts. I used a similar approach in my last story for my storybook and found it to be somewhat challenging. You pulled it off beautifully. WELL DONE!

    I always wondered what Lakshmana’s thoughts were as he is accompanying Rama and Sita throughout their journeys. Your choice to make Lakshmana have a crush on Sita was a great choice. It must have been agonizing for him to harbor these feelings and not have them reciprocated. Poor Lakshmana even had to take Sita to her exile. You did a great job in showing his heartbreak as he carried out this task. I can’t praise this story enough. This was definitely one of my favorite stories so far. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I thought you gave some great detail throughout this story. I also loved how you gave some of your own interpretation about what could have gone on behind the scenes during the story. Sometimes we only get the bigger picture of stories and do not really get the privilege of getting all of the details. There was one point where I was a little confused. Sita asked Lakshmana if he was ever going to love someone as much as she loved Rama. Just a few lines later, Sumitra tells him that his wife is looking for him. Is Sita implying that he is not happy in his marriage? Beyond that and the fact that Lakshmana seemed a little creeper-ish, I thought your story was amazing. It wasn't just well written, but you also made it very entertaining. I was always wondering what was going to happen next or if Lakshmana was ever going to say how he felt to Sita. Just a few thoughts. Thanks for sharing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete