Thursday, February 4, 2016

Week Three Storytelling: The Uncertainty of Rama

Rama had not regretted saving Sita from Ravana, but he felt that their souls disconnected. For centuries, their souls always found each other no matter the circumstances.  In their past life, Rama and Sita were children playing in the rivers behind their homes.  Sita loved the water and would jump from high cliffs even when she was told not to. It was not until Rama died from sacrificing his life for Sita, who was drowning.  Vishnu watched Rama's act of bravery and selflessness from the heavens, and knew Rama was to be reincarnated into something greater.  


When the festivities had commenced in Kishkinda after the battle, Sampathi met Rama in secrecy on the palace balcony.  Not understanding why Rama showed a lack of interest in his defeat against Ravana, Sampathi began to share his story.

“I heard what you told Hanuman.  I see you have grown your feathers, but love does not grow like feathers. It is not a seed that can be planted, nor is it a river that can be refilled by the rain from the sky.” said Rama.

“You interrupt me Rama.  You are eager to speak, but not wise to listen.  I did not tell Hanuman the whole story, please sit in the chair.”


Rama sat contently and wondered what kind of love had Sampathi experienced that was comparable to his and Sita’s.  After his encounter with Vali and Sugreeva, surely love that was shared between animals was different from humans.

“I remember her sitting on the mountains of Himavan. I flew down from the clouds in admiration of her beauty, and to the cries that sound like those of doves.  Her lips were the color of plums, and her hair was as black as coal, but shimmered in the sun as if diamonds were in it. She told me her name was Parvati, and she felt unloved.  I sat on the cliff near her only in concern. I thought she would jump to her death because of the things she told me, but the longer we talked the calmer she became.


It became a ritual of ours to meet without anyone knowing.  We would share our thoughts, dreams, and the past memories of our reincarnated lives.  Our connection was deeper than anything I had known.  One day I told her to meet me when the sun shined the brightest, and the sounds of the animals from the forest was the loudest.  I wanted her to meet Jatayu.  I spoke of her much to my brother, and he wanted to meet the unknown woman.

While in flight, I spoke of her beauty and I flew in circles around Jatayu.  The more I reminisced about her beauty, the higher I flew.  I felt a jolt and then opened my eyes.  I could smell my flesh and see that my feathers were seared.  Jatayu took off in flight and guided Parvati to our home while she carried me.  For months Pavarti stayed to nurse me back to my health even when I told her to go. My appearance had changed, and she did not care.  When I was well enough to fly, I only did so at night. I felt ashamed and pushed her away.

I never spoke to her again after the day she left. Sometimes I fly near our spot and when she appears, I soar high so she does not recognize me. In my heart I know she knows it is me watching over her.”


“Sampathi, your words I understand.  I fought for our love, and she too in her captivity. I questioned  her allegiance towards me when I faced her after the battle, and for that she walked through fire.”




Author's Note: In the ending of "The Ramayana", I noticed that Rama soon feels different about Sita.  He questions her virtue because of the amount of time she spent in captivity with Ravana and tells her  to walk away from their marriage. Sita cries out not understanding why Rama has continued to fight for her freedom and in the end rejects her.  It is then when Sita asks Lakshamana to set fire to an area, and she proceeds to walk in it. Sita proves her purity to Rama, and is then lifted out of the fire by Agni, the god of fire.  It takes Sita to risk her life to show Rama her value.  I wanted to put emphasis on the matter of devotion in friendships/relationships.  Throughout the book, characters are tested on their faith and loyalty primarily towards Rama.  There are people who do admit defeat because their devotion towards someone is continuously question even when it should not be. I wanted to show the consequence of that action through Sampathi.  

Bibliography: "The Raymana" written by R.K. Narayan (1972)




3 comments:

  1. Hello Dijoun!
    I really like how you compared Rama and Sampathi’s love stories. Sampathi pushed and tested Pavarti too much and she eventually left him (even though he never stopped loving her). Rama, too, was pushing Sita away, and Sampathi wanted him to know what consequences could arise from testing those around you too much. When I read this part in the book, I was really upset with Rama for not just taking Sita into his arms. I am glad you wrote more about his feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story, Dijoun. I always enjoy reading everyone else's stories because they are so different than what I would come up with. The descriptions that you included really helped paint the picture of what was occurring in my mind. I too was upset by Rama's reaction to Sita after rescuing her from Ravana. It was a shame that she felt the need to prove herself to him in such a manner. It was nice to see this thought explored through Sampathi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again!

    You did a really good job making a parallel within your story between Rama and Sympathi's relationships/love stories. I was so upset that Rama did not trust Sita and made her go through a test to prove him of her innocence. I found it rather insulting because she wanted him the entire time. You did a great job with this story and making it have a complexity that was unexpected. Good job!

    ReplyDelete