Monday, February 8, 2016

Storybook Styles

For the past two week I have been researching the history of the infamous Taj Mahal.  I wanted to write a storybook that included all of the topics that I was interested in: karma, love, death, and the geography in India.  Find one topic that I could devote to was much harder than I thought.  I found a few websites that introduced the legends of the Taj Mahal, and a few other historical sites in India.  The Taj Mahal has an appealing history.  The construction of the monument began in 1632 and later opened its doors in 1648. According to a few sources that I have found, the architect who built the monument is “unknown” and he experienced a tragic loss.  Few have reported that his wife died during child birth while he was constructing the monument, while other say that the emperor during that time period had his wife killed because he was in love with her.  I also looked into other historical places in India; such as, the Meeknakshi Amman Temple, Kumbhalgarh, Mahabodi Temple, and the Church of the Sacred Heart in New Dehli.  Each of these destinations is associated with a religion of some sort, and has stories behind their makings.  I am still looking into other geographical sites in India that provide more than one story/legend.

Possible Styles:

If these walls could talk: Usually in stories we have characters, namely people who tell stories.  I thought about doing something a little different.  Since the places that I have researched are historical, I thought it would be a bit unusual and cool to have the walls of the monuments to tell the stories. 

People who were involved in constructing the monuments: Much of the information that I have looked up, involved an untold story/myth/legend about the monument that was being built.  So I would have a character, or characters who were involved constructing the monument, to tell the “truth” behind the making.

Tour guide: This character or characters would be a tour guide walking the readers through a “visual” tour of the historical places. 


Pilgrimage: Character who are and are not native to India will learn about the monuments they visit while they seek religious piety and  can tell their experiences to their family and friends.  


Sources:

http://www.tajmahal.org.uk/ "Taj Mahal"
Walk Through India "12 most visited places in India"
Atlas Obscura "The Great Wall of India"

No comments:

Post a Comment